Sunday, October 28, 2018

On Writing...penmanship that is.

As a kid, and a leftie I had miserable penmanship.  Just couldn't figure out how to hold the pencil without smearing lead... or pen without smearing ink.  The nuns at Saint Peter's Elementary in Huron, Ohio didn't know how to help me and my grades reflected it.  Well, maybe my attitude was reflected in my grades too.

Then one day early in Huron High School, I noticed a girl printing everything and saw how easy it was to read.  Okay, okay maybe I was looking over her shoulder while cheating on a test I don't recall.

So I started printing.  Everything.  I did it for several years and for some unknown reason it put some discipline in my unruly south paw.  Then I tried writing something again and noticed... it wasn't bad!  In fact, some of it looked pretty good.  I carried on from that point taking some pride in legibility.  Cheap thrills I know.

My kids, both lefties, do it too.  Tyler a combination of both and Samantha just about everything...printing that is.

Then.  Computers.  And keyboards.  And the end of a lot of writing.  And my practiced hand went on a leave of absence.  I made a note about it in 2015...I mean a hand written/printed note.  Just came across it in one of my (antique now) notebooks and am posting it here for posterity.  And for the hell of it.

No comments: