Saturday, September 11, 2010

Serenity

Tyler Thomas Campbell
To me, this song characterizes the "generation gap" angst we experienced between ourselves and our parents.  A gap that we, in turn, saw or will see between us and our children and one that is likely destined to recur between all generations:

Click here for the recorded studio version of "Serenity."***


The lyrics follow:

Verse:
Thank you for giving me what you've given me and I... 
Will take everything and make it quite worth your time
But, all I'm living for is some... some serenity and I... 
All I'm asking you for is some peace and quiet.
I know that you've lived more life and you've seen so many things, 
this time it's not the same and I see with 2 different eyes

Chorus:
Samantha Marie Campbell
The world is about to explode and I want to live it up
It's no perfect fairytale or some theme from a storybook
It's all about slaving the grind is that what were fighting for
A cold concrete paradise well I hope there is more in store for me... 
I hope there's more in store for me.

Verse:
Thank you for giving me opportunities and I... Know it took all your strength to swallow your pride
Each day has given to me... more of that inspiration and I 
Will channel it from deep down inside
I know that life is so hard, and we have come way too far, it's just another wall that I need to climb.

Chorus:
The world is about to explode and I want to live it up
It's no perfect fairytale or some theme from a storybook
It's all about slaving the grind is that what were fighting for
A cold concrete paradise well I know there is more in store for me... 
I know there's more in store for me.

Just my interpretation but I appreciate the soulful effort to explain conflict and gratitude followed by an expression of hope for the future in the first chorus, then certainty of the future in the second.

*** From the Album, No Regrets in the Garden of Weeden by Arden Park Roots,  copyright 2010 

3 comments:

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

Hi Tom,
Serenity is my favorite song on the album. Tyler's voice is expressive, the lyrics are powerful, yet smooth and understated the way it reads and the way its sung, and Tyler's voice and the instruments weave melody and meaning beautifully. My other favorites are When the Lights Go Down, Contemplate, Just A Man, 12/25, and of course, Travel On. Your interpretion of Serenity is wonderful, like the song. I think you are correct, and that balance of frustration and gratitude, accentuated by the song's rhythm, lyricism and instrumentation, is part of what makes it work so well.

TomC said...

Thank you for your comments Annie. I will share them with Tyler as I am sure he will appreciate them as well!