Thursday, April 18, 2013

Soldier Boy I - Prelude

He may look decent but he knows nothing.
(He's about to learn though...)
17 and a quarter - fresh out of high school
Not advanced academically
Just started early as a kid (hayseed) in North Dakota

Out of four high school years
Spent first two and a half
In Huron, Ohio

Enjoyed one class - "Technical Drawing" at Renton, Washington HS
Actually two - "Speech" at Huron, Ohio HS... but Mr Adler, "The Big Bopper" (RIP)
Kicked me out of that one forever

Kicked out of another as well in Huron...
Robbie C and I competed for lowest grade in "Latin"
I was disqualified from the competition when
Mrs. McKillip turned and caught me giving her
The single digit salute from the back of the classroom

As a result I was booted from class and sentenced to
"Honors Study Hall" for some reason
There I would sit and do...nothing
While my fellow students would sit and do...something
For an hour each day

Eventually it turned out the most valuable class
I would ever take was an elective
"Personal Typing"
I was at Huron HS, a sophomore  I think
Our teacher was young and to me, she was gorgeous
She had this deeply disturbing quality as well

When she was showing you how to use the keyboard
She would bend over your back
Placing her hands over yours and gently moving your fingers
To the correct position

All innocent enough
Except for the fact that her breasts
Would rest square on your back while she was doing it

As a fourteen year old student with hormones on permanent overdrive
This would reduce me to the mental level of a doberman humping a fireplug

In spite of that I learned to type 
A skill that would serve again and again
Throughout the remainder of my life

First two years in high school I was "college prep" material
Second two years it was, "Just get through will you?"

We moved from Huron to Seattle in the middle
Traumatic stuff for a fifteen year old

I majored in pool the second half of high school... the billiards kind that is
After hours of course...plus when I could skip classes without getting caught
Came out though with a 2.0 GPA - some kind of miracle that was.

Finally, a graduation ceremony and we were turned loose on society
In Seattle you had to be 18 to be "bonded"
I think that meant a third party insuring you against theft or injury or something
I found out I couldn't even pump gas
(my highest aspiration at the time)
Unless I was... "bonded"

So I wandered the streets of downtown Seattle
And played pool for a while
Famous historical joints (really) like Ben Paris and
The 211 Club (est. 1898)
(The 211 site is now the home of the Seattle Symphony - go figure...)

One day I walked past the recruiter's offices
Saw the different uniforms there
And thought the Air Force blues were pretty cool
I don't think the Marines had a display
Or I probably would have chose them!

Shortly thereafter, Mom signed for me
Three months out of high school, four months short of 18
And I was off to eight weeks of basic training

Twenty-four years, an amazing inspirational wife, a great son,
Bachelors and masters degrees, and many remarkable experiences later
Half as enlisted and half as officer
I would retire as a BTZ Major in the Air Force Medical Service Corps
Along the way I learned something in spite of myself

2 comments:

Tricia Canella said...

Glad you passed typing instead of Latin!
BTW... My dad was 'signed in' the Air Force, at 17, by his mom. This made my grandfather, a sharecropper, an unhappy fella as losing my dad to the Air Force meant one less man working the fields! Nonetheless, my grandfather did not intervene and off my dad went to basic training, riding a train to San Augustine, TX, wearing his brother's boots. (He mailed them back once the Air Force issued him a 'new' pair.)
Be good.
tc

Tricia Canella said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.