Thursday, April 18, 2013

"...Love Me" Redux

Over 220 blog entries ago
In the spring of 2008
I posted my first blog
The title and the link:
"I Will Make You Love Me"

Now, thinking back...
A little more on the subject

When I was ten 
We moved from North Dakota to Pontiac, Michigan
My parents both smoked then
I thought it was a natural thing
For people to do

Our home in Pontiac was near the center of
What was then a mainly blue collar city
Wrapped around automobile manufacturing
With a fairly thriving downtown

Us kids included some cousins and a few other pals there
Our part of town was poor but safe and we roamed free
Free to get in a lot of mischief

We had a hole through a fence at the nearby dairy
We could sneak in at broad daylight and steal
Delicious pint cartons of chocolate milk

We could ride our bikes right downtown
We were probably only a mile away
Not even that
I clearly recall in a department store there...
The smell and look of a brand new white cotton dress shirt
I think it cost around three bucks
And wondering if there would ever be a day
When I would have one of my own

There was a baseball diamond with bleachers
In a park nearby
We would cruise those bleachers after a game
And pick up decent sized cigarette butts
To enjoy later at our leisure
It was even a treat to latch on to a box of wooden matches
To light them with
Over 30 years later, I finally quit

Then my first great discovery of my early 40's
Was the feeling of breathing in a huge gulp of clean air
It was a rush I had totally forgotten over the years
Later, smoke free clothes, homes and cars would become
More evident as well
But that huge gulp of clean air is still amazing to me

I still get a little sad remembering "lap time"
When I would invite my son to sit in my lap
While watching television
Only to excuse him a few minutes later
So I could light one up

I was lucky to have dumped that monkey
Over 20 years ago
As part of rehab for my very unhealthy heart

This morning, as with many mornings,
I was heading for my poker tournament (read "fix")
And I noticed how clear and beautiful the day looked
I most certainly would not have noticed if I had not quit
In fact, I would not be here at all

No comments: