Friday, November 5, 2010

The Line

Chalk line
(Click to enlarge this puppy and check out the lines...)
Power line
First in line
Center line
Chorus line
Clothes line
The fine line
Jump the line
Draw the line
Cross the line
End of the line
Back of the line
Front of the line
Latest in the line
Middle of the line
Mason Dixon line
I Walk The... (you know)
Queue (the highbrow version)
I’m not li’ne (Nah, not to you anyway!)
Beautiful lines

This is about the last one.
Beautiful lines
See the picture?
See what I mean?

Struck by a tree…not in the literal sense
As in having one ripped out by the roots
And smacking me where I deserve
“Take THAT you pitiful reprobate”!

But more so in the figurative sense
As in gawking at our old oak tree
It is a Western or “Cork” oak
It sits in the far back of our yard

It is noticed mainly at times of the year
When its small leaves make a mess out of
And when it’s branches grow too close

To the power lines
So the utility company has to
Give it kind of a brutal trim
With little or no thought to esthetics

I happened to be back there
At the right time for beautiful morning shadows
And noticed she has grown somewhat stately
In the twenty plus years we have been here

So I wanted to give her credit for being around for us.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Poor tree! I wondered how she had gotten so misshapen, but, you have a unique tree there, and I'm sure she's great for shade and company.

TomC said...

Thanks Annie. We could have guided her growth through selective trimming I suppose. But we just let her go... with only occasional interference. Its a great tree though and we are proud to have her and her companions gracing our backyard.