Saturday, January 29, 2011

Janice E, David A, Jim N, Jack S and David Claud

1972
The Forum in Los Angeles, California
There was a concert
Iron Butterfly and Canned Heat


Julieann and I were almost 3 years into this 41+ year marriage
Working and slaving our lives away in nearby Riverside

We didn't go to many concerts (as in none)

But loved the music
My brother was visiting from Seattle
So we decided to go as a special event for all of us

We decided to buy the best seats we could get
That purchase put us in folding chairs on the floor of the Forum
About 15 rows from the stage

The sound engineer
Orchestrated the whole event
From a few rows behind us

It was a great concert made more interesting by the
Smell of marijuana that permeated the building
And by the fact that the engineer had the music dialed in to penetrate everything in its path

The sound seemed to be focussed right in the center of my head
When we walked out my ears were ringing
Almost 40 years later, they still are

I have told this story dozens of times
For folks who are puzzled by my lousy hearing
And wondering why I don't wear my hearing aids
(they don' work very well - as in, at all - for tinnitus)


I must have been really impressed too because I posted another account (Damn I gotta find some new material...) with a little bit different spin back in late 2008: 

http://tomcampbellsworld.blogspot.com/2008/11/infirmities-of-lesser-kind.html

What I have rarely mentioned it that it was probably cumulative
Air Force buddies David A, Jim N and I had gone to drag races in Amarillo, Texas 
In the early 60's where you could literally lay in the grass 
And take photographs just a few feet from the track
David A and I had also made many short and long hauls in his '58 Chevy
Music turned up as loud as it could go
Singing at the top of our voices 
Through the prairies of northern Texas and New Mexico
Back then folks were pretty clueless about the effects of hazardous noise


This morning, on her Facebook page, Janice happened to mention
She had heard the long version of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" on the radio
And loved it.
That is what has prompted this little story
I will send the link to all five pals mentioned here today


Also Jack S... who mentioned in the earlier post that he too 
Had attended the Forum way back when 
And his ears rang for three days after
And he now has one gone with one to go


I can't help but wonder how many ears
Have been destroyed in the Forum?
Let's 'hear' it if you have!!! (bad joke) 

3 comments:

Annie said...

My husband has tinnitus, too, attributed to rock concerts, and photographing motorcycle races for Cycle News, back in the late 60s and early 70s. But it was all fun, wasn't it?

TomC said...

Sorry to hear your husband is on the same fast track to "eh?" Annie.

Couple of things to add then: Practice saying his first name before you say something to him. That will get his attention and allow him to focus/hear better. If he isn't already having a problem with this he probably will.

Privately tell your son to spring the "double what" thing on him, as my son has already. When your husband says, "What?", your son says "What?" back. That will leave your husband stumped and perhaps even doe-eyed. Then your son can explain the "double what" technique. Should be good for a fine laugh then and many more thereafter.

TomC said...

Yes, it was great fun!