Friday, December 16, 2011

Herding Cats (Julieann and Her Lefties)

Julieann Marie Campbell
Receiving  Air Force Certificate of Appreciation 
I asked her recently
If she had ever though of herself
As beautiful
She was surprised, and answered "No".

Then I showed her a photo
Taken of her when we left the Air Force
Years ago and said, "See"?
She remained surprised

*****

Once she said she regretted
That she had not completed college
I said, "Are you kidding?
You have four college degrees
One in Economics
A Masters in Health Care Administration
Another degree in Digital Media
And this coming Spring a degree in Philosophy"

The point being there likely would be no degrees
In our family were it not for her
Her energy, her optimism and her belief in all of us
Brought us to this point

She has been corralling three lefties all this time...
Like herding cats right?!

*****

In recent years I have noticed, and admired
Her sense of things is to give way in deference
To oncoming traffic 
On foot, in cars, in conversation... in everything

Her time is yours, in all things
I wish I was more like that
I wish we all were more like that
To step back, to let another in, to listen

Note:  This is my 200th post in the past four years.  Without Julieann Marie Campbell there would be zero - as in no posts. That is a fact - I am so fortunate to be able to do something like this, that I love... and to be with someone I love.  I'm not sure she is done racking up college degrees either!


8 comments:

Don Brunelle said...

I thought Julie was writing all these posts!

C.W. Spooner said...

I thought Julie was writing all these ... oh, wait ... that's what Don said.

TomC said...

Uh-oh. You guys are on to me.

Annie said...

Hi Tom,

Beautiful post!

TomC said...

Tnanks Annie. I'm just returning a gift, in a very small way, is all.

darmayoga said...

that's a nice blog.. Thank you for sharing the information.. Good job.. Bravo....!!!!

Mary Sweet said...

This kind of reciprocal love...good. true. authentic. Hard to come by and beautiful.

TomC said...

Thank you great friend. You are an inspiration - I just have to figure out what to do with it!