Thursday, April 19, 2012

Three Young Turks...

... walked into a bar.
Nah, you have heard that one before

This story is about three Turks
The Egyptian they work for
And the hotel they work in

The Cafe Acadian
A Creole style restaurant
At the Marriott Hotel, Baton Rouge

I was working on a project in Baton Rouge
A tight schedule did not permit me
To fly back to Sacramento on weekends

I have spent several million
(OK, ok over a thousand... way over)
Nights in Marriott's over the years
So I received complimentary buffet breakfasts
For the three weekends I was there

My weekend routine was
Hit the hotel gym
Shuffle on the Elliptical machine
Pump a little (very little) free weights

Then grab a complimentary paper
And flop in the hotel's Cafe Acadian

Each time, these guys were all over me like a cheap suit
Holding my chair to assist me
Snapping that napkin and dropping it on my lap

Smiling "Good morning Sir!", "Juice?", "Coffee?"
If I said; "Just juice." to one Turk
Another would follow him shortly after
To be sure I didn't want the coffee.

They never let my juice glass get close to empty
A butter wrapper on the mat next to my plate?
A smiling Turk would sweep by and carefully remove it

One morning as I was finishing
One of the Turks
Placed a plate of three fresh beignets
At my table - complements of the house...

They were in constant motion
The three young Turks
And a distinguished head waiter

An Egyptian who would stop by your table
Survey the situation
Gauge your satisfaction

Upbeat, smiling
Five star
Five huge stars
Better than I have seen anywhere else
Ever

These guys were the Steve Jobs
Of quality waiter service
This I know

And if you put them on the road
Had them teach service
At the finest restaurants in America
You would see amazing improvements

But I don't think you could quite capture their...spirit
Yes, that is the ingredient that made them so special
They were enthusiastic in their step and in their speech
A quality I believe you must be born with
Or maybe there's something in the Baton Rouge water...

Ah, but they are leaving
Returning to their home country
If I get back before they leave
I will attempt to talk to them further
To find out more about their spirit
To find out why they are leaving

Mr Emad Sotohy and his son,
January, 2013
(Julie and I should visit Egypt, or Turkey... I could get used to that!)

*December, 2017 Update:  I wrote this in the Spring of 2012.  Now, coming up on 6 years later, the Egyptian referenced in this story, Mr. Emad Sotohy has long since returned to his home country and his family including at least one fine son and daughter.  We remain pals and in touch via Facebook.  Emad works at the Cairo Marriott where I am sure they provide the best concierge and overall service you can find anywhere.



2 comments:

Ayberk Atasay said...

Sir (:

I am one of the Turkish guy. I already back to Turkey. I will be happy to see you in Turkey.

Just let me know!

TomC said...

Ayberk thank you for your note. If we can visit I will let you know.