Monday, April 29, 2019

Stones Gambling Hall & Chris Moneymaker

Last Friday, Stones Gambling Hall held their kick-off Texas Hold'em tournament as part of their Spring Classic series. Their guest professional participating that day was 2003 World Series of Poker winner, Chris Moneymaker.

As part of his play, Chris was rotating among various tournament tables and after a while, he joined our table at a seat one of the earlier entries had busted from. He made a comment to our tournament director Justin Kuraitis about whether there was a bounty on him. Justin said "no" so I reached in my pocket, pulled out a dollar bill and offered it up as a bounty. I caught a little justifiable heat for that.

Chris had maybe half a starting stack of 20k in chips and shortly after arriving, shoved all in from 3rd or 4th position on our 9 player table. Players folded around to me in the hijack position and I looked down at AK off with about 30k in chips. I declared "all in" to isolate him and he turned over AJ off.

The cards ran out blanks and I had successfully knocked out the former world champ! The players there and I had a good time commenting on that plus...I got to keep my bounty.

Note:  Some of the details here may be baloney and for that I claim the senior fog of memory. However, certain essential details are facts...the cards were as written, I did get the knockout, there was a bounty offered...and Chris was a fine gentleman in good humor throughout. He reentered shortly thereafter and was still there when I eventually got knocked out.

No comments: