Thursday, September 18, 2008

Indian Giver!

You are likely aware of the term "Indian-giver". I had always assumed it was a pretty straight reference to giving something to someone and then changing your mind and taking it back. But then I queried one of the Gods... the Google God, for an interpretation and found out it is associated with all the pitiful agreements our nation forced on Indians. One example is the famous "10 cent treaty of the late 1800's" where the US "bought" most of North Dakota from my (yes, my) and my brother's tribe for 10 cents an acre. Oh yes and they didn't pay for over a hundred years.

Anyway, the Indians knew they had been screwed but couldn't complain at first because they they were sure they would soon be residing on the head (yes, the head) of a pin (ironically it turned out to be the head of a nickel) if they did. This a purely academic reference to their rapidly shrinking lands. Finally, they would discover they could complain without fear of retribution (this was probably right around the time the ACLU was born) so they would demand that predatory treaties be revoked and their land be returned. Later references to this shocking behavior were developed by Washington's pioneering "spin doctors" ... hence the term "Indian givers".

So, for the moment let's set aside the fact that I want Minot back. Instead, let's take a look at all the US property fire sales that the Japanese, Chinese, Kuwaitis, Russians and others have done in the US over the years. Then, let's invoke the "Indian giver" clause and take it all back. Then, we can sell it again or in some way use it to reinvigorate our national economy. Voila!

I'm TomC and, as 1 of 30,000 enrolled members of the Turtle Mountain Band of the Chippewa Tribe, I approve this message.

P.S. Doesn't it tickle you how the current presidential candidates feel compelled to place this sort of reverse disclaimer at the end of their television ads?... "I'm Joe Blow from Kokomo and I approve this message" . There you go. He approved it. What a relief!

It is just as endearing when politicians use the stubby tip of their thumbs and closed fists to 'point at people. Okay now. I know he really wanted to point his finger. This is just his way of doing it without doing it 'knowwhatImean? You might call it "Pointus Interruptus".

Yeah, I probably need to back off the wine swilling a little too... right after I put post this rant on my blog.

No comments: