Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Have a Bat...




That opposite field line drive...
Yup that one!
..in my belfry.
No, wait a minute!
...in my office.

Its an Aluminum Little League bat.
A Louisville Slugger.
"Extra Lite" 30inch, 21 oz.
It is inscribed with:
"Arden Little League
Batting Titles
Majors
1992 - .565
Sr. Minors
1993 - .585"

The owner's name
Is inscribed near the leading 
edge of the handle.
It says,
"Tyler Campbell"

Those were the peak athletic years for my son
As with many sons like him.
For when boys hit their early teens
Their hormones take over and they often 
Take off in pursuit of other...adventures.

I will be the first father
To swear on a stack of Bibles
That I gladly took all the vicarious thrills
I could out of Tyler's spectacular baseball days.

If I ever had any expectations about him and his athleticism
He blew them all out of the water by the time he was ten.
Not just in baseball but in soccer, swimming and eventually football.

But this story is about "Beeeseaball" and how
"Eeees been good to me".

You could see it in his eye 
When he was as young as two.
Focused, smooth and level.

He was a natural lefty.
He had some kind of extra synapse 
That let him wait on the ball 
Until the last moment.
Guaging his swing, 
And hitting opposite field doubles.
Tons of them.
He was really fast.
And stole many bases, including home
Almost at will.

He was an excellent pitcher and center fielder
with great range and an accurate arm.
He was easy to coach 
And he was a perennial Little League All Star.

Sixteen years later
I can still get pumped remembering the sight of him
On the ball field.

His best coach over the years,
Chuck Spooner aka 'The Kid Whisperer"
Once favorably compared Tyler's 
Swing to Stan "The Man" Musial
I was thinking, "What?  Not better?"

Today, Tyler is busy chasing 
His dream with a vengeance.
He writes music, sings lead, plays guitar 
And has assembled a band with great chemistry.

I didn't expect this either.
But if he keeps his focus, swings smooth and stays level
I am betting he will have a ton of hits
In the music world as well.

You're Right. I know I don't deserve him,
Or his wonderful sister...
Or their amazing mother.
Right on all three counts.
It's okay though.
I'm just along for the ride...
Watching all three accomplish great things...
Waiting to inscribe more bats.

1 comment:

CharlieG said...

Very nice tribute Tom. With a lovely daughter and two sons of my own..with many baseball field memories in our past.. I can easily relate to your story.

Charlie Gragg