Wednesday, January 28, 2009

OneteninaSeventyfive







 - 1968 -

At twenty-two he was built to run
Three-striper stationed at Ellsworth
Air Force Base, Dakota
The southern one

Outside Rapid City

He met a dark haired beauty 
At a hilltop bar

They got along

She left for college
Vermillion, South Dakota
On a bluff
Overlooking the Missouri river

She left, he followed
She was there for a semester
He had a weekend
An 800+ mile round trip
Back and forth across the state

His car; a 63 Ford Galaxy
Two-barrel, gutless, and then it broke
He borrowed a pal's 65 GTO

He would never forget this act of generosity.  He would visit his buddy years later in Michigan kCity, Indiana to thank him again.

It was ready to roll
389 cubic inches, 4 barrel carb
and a four speed on the floor

Saturday; early morning run
Two packs stashed
One of six and one of gum

Interstate Ninety

Flat across the plains
Often as far as you could see
Little traffic - West to East


She had warned him of a speed trap
Between Murdo and Presho
He wasn't paying attention
Too excited

The six pack rested nicely 
on the flat space
between the bucket seats.

Hit the road
Cranked that hot rod
Popped a beer

When he couldn't see a town ahead
He was doing a hundred and ten
Seemed like the right thing to do

On his third beer
Somewhere east of Murdo
He saw a car

It was parked on the shoulder
Way ahead
He slowed to 75-80
Limit was 75

I thought she told me that trap was between some other towns? Damn....

As he passed he noticed
It was an early 60's Chevy
Dark and nondescript
He kicked her back to 110

Seconds later, from out of nowhere
A black and white on his bumper
Stick of gum quickly replaced beer can

The old Chevy pulled up
Right behind the squad car
The cop conferred with the radar man

Then came to see me
"Son, I clocked you at 110
But I'll write you at even 100
Follow me"

The three of us made an unlikely caravan moving slowly down the Interstate...

Pulled into Presho, SD on the plains
Up to a white clapboard house
With an office addition on the side
Walked in with Policeman and Radarman

Side office was a mini-courtroom
Justice of the Peace walked through door
Separating home and court
Pulling up suspenders as he strode
Straight outa' the movies

Desperate to break free, I wanted to run outside and shout "STELLA!!!!!" You know, like Brando in "Streetcar Named Desire." But then, that wasn't her name and besides, the JP was a he.

Convened court, found me guilty
After I admitted same
Fined  me $85

"Your Honor, I only have $45 
I am going to Vermillion to visit my fiancé 
I need $10 for gas to get back to Rapid City"

"I hope he goes for this.  I wonder if they have a jail in this town?"

Judge took my $35 and my promise 
To pay the other $50 later
And released me

Back in that hot rod GTO
On down the highway...soon back to 110
Figured the speed traps were over

Made the trip in just over 5 hours
Four hundred and five miles
With a stop in a tiny town
And a part in a vignette
Right out of a Tennessee Williams play
Minus the accents...

Over Forty years now
The dark haired beauty
Has been harboring a criminal

That makes her an accessory...the finest who ever lived.
He never paid the $50...He's still wanted in SoDak.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool story- I was right there-