Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Death... In The Family

Sparkle Plenty was the daughter of B.O. and Gravel Plenty, all characters in the Dick Tracy comic series. Sparkle Plenty was also the name of my first dog. She was a cocker spaniel... a present for my 7th birthday.  My Dad had asked me to retrieve his coat left in his car and when I did so, I discovered a ball of fur wrapped in it.

When our son Tyler Thomas Campbell turned 7, I asked him to retrieve my coat from our car out front and he discovered a ball of fur wrapped in it. The puppy would be named Sparkle Plenty II, a Schnauzer who would be part of our family for fifteen years.

As Tyler and Sparkle grew, they remained close pals.  Over time, Tyler's attention was drawn to the complications of growing up and Sparkle became closer to the one who was with her most from day to day, Tyler's Mother Julieann.  In later years Sparkle and Julieann became somewhat inseparable in our home with "Spark-bark" following in Julie's footsteps throughout the day and night.

When our daughter Samantha turned 10, I came in the house and asked her to go get a towel I had accidentally left in our car.  She discovered a ball of fur wrapped in that towel.  It was a Golden Retriever puppy who would later be named Molly.  Molly would be Sparkle's pal and reluctant playmate for the next several years.  Sparkle was quite a bit older and didn't care much for playing around with the little frisky one who had moved into her territory without an invitation. 

By the time she turned 15, Sparkle was suffering from fairly typical canine infirmities.  With failing eyesight, one day while alone in the back yard she accidentally fell into our swimming pool .  She could swim but had never figured out how to find the steps at the end of the pool and had always needed to be helped out. That day help wasn't there.

We buried Sparkle Plenty in the back yard under a beautiful oak tree.  Tyler and I dug the hole while Julieann held her.  Samantha ran to her room and wrote some last words for Sparkle.  She came back and read the words for us as Tyler and I gently laid Sparkle in her last bed.  Then Samantha went back to her room and got a ceramic cross her Grandmother had given her.  That day she passed the cross on to Sparkle and it now hangs on our back fence overlooking Sparkle's bed.

Some people say dogs can't go to heaven because they don't have souls.  If you have ever looked into the eyes of a dog who loves you, you have seen an unconditional commitment that will never end.  Once you have seen that you would argue that it doesn't matter whether dogs have souls or not... they are definitely in heaven.  They are all there; Sparkle Plenty (Spaniel), Bingo (Black & Tan), Lady (Beagle), Mopsie's Coup d'Camp (Old English Sheepdog), Gypsy(Old English Sheepdog) and Sparkle Plenty II (Schnauzer).  They are hoping Molly and the rest of us conduct ourselves properly and thus qualify to join them someday. 

(Photos first to last: Tyler Thomas Campbell and Sparkle Plenty II, Molly and Sparkle Plenty II, Sparkle Plenty II part timing as a famous Seattle Seahawk.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom and Julie,
I remember the day "Freckles" arrived at our house on Christmas stuffed in a stocking. A young officer named Tom stuffed Freckles into a stocking on Christmas morning, knocked loudly on the garage door and said HO, Ho, Ho. The kids, thinking Santa was still there, raced to the garage and found a young Dalmation puppy. Peggy could not keep hands off the new member of our family. Over the next 14 years of her life, the kids learned life experiences, responsibilities and I leaned what a friend I had. Freckles and I logged over 2,000 miles running together. We ran in the Bay to Breakers, in San Francisco, Ca., three times. She was voice trained and would heal left, right and follow every command I gave her. Our daughter Betsy won the annual Turkey Trot with Freckles at Travis AFB, CA. Little Charlie ran several half Marathons with Freckles at his side, averaging 6 minute miles. Freckles loved us all and wagged her tail off when someone came into the house. But late in life she began to lose her eyesight and her rear legs began to give out from all the running. At the AF Academy she was gored by a buck but made it through a painfull recovery. She was sprayed by skunks several times and always looked at me as if - well I couldn't help it. A year later, she died was buried in our yard with a small headstone that says "Freckles - Our best friend who taught us all about love and life. 15 Nov 1975 - 18 Aug 1989" There is no question in my mind that our other family members have souls and will go to heaven. I know because I had to put Freckles to sleep in my lap. She looked at me,I hugged her and I knew it was alright because I would see her again and we would run together as much as we wanted. I always end our Thanksgiving meal prayer with "Lord,say hello to Freckles". Thanks Tom and Julie for being a part of our life.

TomC said...

Awwww Jeez Charlie Brown. What a fine story. Julie and I were in tears over it. Freckles was truly a great dog. In fact, it just now occurs to me that there are a lot more great dogs than there are people. They are trying to teach us nevertheless right?! Thank you Charlie and Peggy, for years of warm, comforting friendship.