Friday, July 3, 2009

Peanut Butter and Jelly

My wife of forty years left me.
Two nights ago.

She went to a party.
Where friends invite other friends.

As true friends are wont, they sell things to each other.
You know, like Tupperware.

I was home alone.
Left to my own devices.

So I cooked up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
On fresh wheat bread... the jelly was strawberry.

Copious amounts of each ingredient.
Backed by a pile of salty, greasy Lays wavy chips.

I had a large glass of damn fine Syrah to wash it all down.
I was in heaven.

The sandwich reminded me of my brother.
When he was little, he called them "whowho, jehjeh, petabutter".

That is exactly what I had.
Two nights ago.
When my wife left me.

It would be nice if she left me once a week.
Of course I would have to stock up.
On Whowho, jehjeh, petabutter.

When she reads this I'm a Dead Man Walking.

1 comment:

TomC said...

This in from the Honorable Dr. "Herr" Buecker... an American/German/Texan:

"Hey Dead man, Try this,
peanut butter and GRAPE JELLY on toast, with your favorite cheese,
use 3 pieces of toast, with filling between each, get it-and a paulaner hefeweissen bier. Served the beer in a 16 oz glass, so you get yeast from the bottom of the 16 oz bottle.

= a german american vegetarian fourth of july delight.
ja WOHL!