Friday, August 28, 2009

Ayn Rand Redux


I've read a lot of books.
Watched a lot of television.
Seen a lot of movies.
Heard a lot of conversations.
In my life.

But I have never seen or heard anything that even closely approximates the dialog I have been reading in Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead".

I have only a couple of hundred pages left in the opus and I am already feeling bad about the end of this remarkable late discovery of mine.

"Ine Baby" nailed the development of two extraordinary literary characters in her lifetime, John Galt of "Atlas Shrugged"' and Howard Roark of "The Fountainhead." If I would have read these books carefully in my formative years I might have been a different person; that's how profound they are.

I think I will be doing a wrap up post on the book when I have finished but I already know I will never be able to do it justice.

Also, there is another gifted (though unpublished) writer I have been reading the past couple of years. Her name is Meri Sender and her brief observations on life and self are an absolute delight. Her wonderful work is at: http://waitingforthebiggiant.blogspot.com/.  Only problem is, she hasn't written an entry since 2010!  C'mon Meri, you can do it!

Nope. I am not getting paid for this plug... by either of these remarkable authors! Although I should be right?!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tom,
This is Randall Craft from Alabama, I read "The Fountain Head","Atlas Shrugged", "Anthem", and all of Ayn Rand that I could find back in the 70's and it did profoundly change my outlook on life. Probably one of the main reasons I departed from the Air Force, you know the ego, "I" and the power of the individual to the control his/her life.
I wish you well in your self discovery, somewhere along the way I lost that sense of self importance and ego that I had developed back then. I need to revisit those great novels again.

TomC said...

Thank you for your note Randall C. I remember, in you, a fine friend with a quick smile, keen wit and wonderful sense of humor... All great attributes that were part of your character and I suspect still are. As to the "sense of self importance and ego" - now might be our time to watch that unfold in others. That should be fun!

Waiting for the Big Giant said...

First of all, thanks. Secondly, Yes! If you'd read Rand in your youth you would have been a different person. But, you've read her now,and NOW you're a different person.

There's nothing like reading about Titans!

And, Rand was one of a kind.

TomC said...

You are most welcome Meri. You know I love what you write so I am happy to share it with a few friends who tolerate my posts from time to time.

I am thinking it is Rand who was the Titan, not her fictional characters.

I am not so sure about the inference that I am a different person for having read her. I mean I love her and all that but she is not my Harley know what I mean?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.