Wednesday, October 7, 2009

And They Pass Through

The multitudes pass through
The great airports of the world

All kinds to the curious eye...
Buff and
Morbidly fat and
Morbidly skinny and
Average build... but
"But what is that?!"

Ugly
Plain
Natty
Disheveled
Drop dead gorgeous
Drop dead likely... at any moment

Fast
Slow
Nervous
Calm
Happy
Mad
Guilty
Innocent
Self-possessed
Guileless
Withdrawn
Ready to fight
Ready to flee

Their bags roll obediently behind and
They pause frequently to shift their load and
They pause frequently to ponder...

"Where are the bathrooms?
What time is it?
What time do I board?
Am I early?
Am I late?
What gate"?

"Do I have time to eat?
Am I hungry?
Will I get hungry on the plane?
If I don't eat now?
Do I look as tired as the rest of these people"?

"Will I make my connection?
Will my bag make the connection?
Should I grab a bottle of water?
Do I have enough to read?
How long has my fly been open"?

I will join the multitudes
Asking the same questions...
Again...
As I pass through.

But then... We snap out of it!!!!



2 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Tom, You capture that great, shuffling apprehension. I haven't been to an airport in eight years, but I remember the feeling.

TomC said...

Thanks Annie... I just made an addition, wanted it to end on a higher note!