Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wrinkle Walk

Checking out the salmon from the
William Pond bridge

Molly, the tit. hip and I hit the American River Bike Trail today.
Two old dogs... some would refer to us as "wrinkles"
Never would have happened without the newest member of the triad
   The fake titanium hip that likes TSA pat-downs 

We were out there an hour and covered a little over two miles
From the William Pond bridge we saw good sized salmon
Pointed upstream... waiting for lunch to 'drop by'

This all happened smack in the middle of California's gold country
The river, the oaks, the gentle paths for horse, bike and feet
Still beautiful after all these years...

Molly and I jogged out there from the time she was 6 months old
We must have over a thousand miles up and down that pathway
Both of us looking, sweating, smelling, breathing rhythmically

Molly marked a lot of territory along the way today
I wanted to but there are exposure laws...
She probably did enough for both of us though

I daydreamed a little while out there too... "What a surprise!" you say...
"Old codger trips over gold nugget half the size of an NBA basketball!
Ponders what to do with untold wealth!"

Mark Twain, permanently hovering 
Over his beloved Calaveras County looks on and  says;
"That lucky bastard!"

I wonder what Molly was daydreaming about? 

2 comments:

Annie said...

It took me a couple of reads to figure out your abbreviation for titanium, maybe because of the rhyme! I'm glad you are out walking, and you and Molly won't let anything stop you. She was probably happy to see, hear and smell familiar sights and sounds. You don't have to call yourselves a couple of old wrinkles!

TomC said...

Thanks for the note Annie... Molly and I had a great time out there. I like the old comparison too... "wrinkle" (old person) and at the other end "squeeze" (young person). Someone told me about that when I was a "Squeeze" and it stuck with me so, if the shoe fits...