Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Old Dogs

Sacramento's famous Ancil Hoffman horse and foot path
The start of a 3.5 mile adventure for Molly and I.
Two old dogs
Molly and me
On an adventure

To recapture the old days
When she was young
And I had decent wheels

On this trip we had a new companion
The titanium hip (a new wheel)
We were testing all the parts, her, me and the hip
On the venerable Ancil Hoffman trail




But first a little (honest!) background
On my February post surgery visit
My surgeon had these words to share as it ended
"You can jog if you want, but we don't encourage it."

To this old dog those words were license to steal
Ancil Hoffman Golf Club -We circled the perimeter on a great
day and were not conked by a single errant shot!
Very similar to the taste of a watermelon that is stolen
As opposed to one that is purchased
The former infinitely better.
Molly looking over the famous American River - site of the
famous California Gold Rush and a famous Golden Retreiver
A lot of fame to be sure...
Yesterday, some 10 weeks after the fake hip literally 'joined' me
Molly and I were going for it!

Truth be known
The trail is 90% soft packed dirt - easy on the joints

Also, my "jog" is much more like a shuffle
Doesn't even cause Molly to break into a trot

We did it
Just over an hour
Likely around three and a half miles
Molly with the RedSled at the end of the trail
One pooped puppy!
An entire circuit around the park, nature trail, river and golf course

Life is good.
Nah, it is better than good.
It is great.
Just gotta' make it that way.

(You can see a lot more detail when you click on the photos...)

No comments: