Monday, November 16, 2015

Feeble...Infirm? Yes or no?!

In California, as a person all too rapidly approaches 70 (we're not talking speed limit here either Bubette) the state likes to double check to see that you have not become feeble and infirm.  They do this by testing your vision, your knowledge and your ability to stand in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

It sure as hell isn't THIS sunny.
If you have first secured an appointment online, you will only have to wait 30 minutes or so to check in at the "I have an appointment" desk.  Then you quickly get a number and stare at screens in the waiting area until your number comes up.  If you don't have an appointment the process is the same except you will likely celebrate a birthday, anniversary and a couple other life events. Yup, all that while you wait among the "huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of the teeming" highways.

Today, I found myself among those rapidly approaching 70...damnit.  I had an appointment so I got the 30 minute treatment. Once in, we moved pretty fast through a couple of stations.  The DMV folks quickly numbered me among the infirm as I informed them I could not hear but I passed their vision test so they had to let me slip by.

Next I was directed to the exam and photo room.  There I demonstrated my feebleness as I passed the written driving exam but was instructed to return to the computer to take my motorcycle safety exam...must have missed that part of the instructions. I had not prepared to take the latter but my guesses were lucky as hell so I made it through.  The photo lady didn't like my first picture (Did I hear her mutter "too ugly?") but threw up her arms and gave up after the second attempt.

All in all, it was a humbling experience being packed in with those teeming masses, then herded and examined by some expert herders and examiners.  But... once finished I left all that humility crap behind and am now once again free to terrorize the highways in my Red Sled and loot and pillage villages on my Harley.

Look out... here I come.
 

1 comment:

jack sender said...

No comet,
Just Tom
traveling on,
and on,snd on.