Sunday, November 7, 2021

Dear United States Air Force Medical Service Corps,


This morning, I read this fine article written by Bill Murphy from the New Yorker magazine about Sam Watterson, creator of the "Calvin and Hobbs" comic strip.  It was Watterson's letter written to "Dear Reader" in 1995. In it, he announced his resignation to take on other projects...to pursue other dreams.

Reading it stirred my tendency for gushing sentimentality concerning my tenure with the Medical Service Corps.  You see, I left the Corps also..."to pursue other dreams." This, in turn, prompted me to write a similar letter in what may well be an awkward but nevertheless sincere imitation...

Dear Medical Service Corps Officer,

This is to announce my departure from the Air Force and the Medical Service Corps after serving equally as airman and officer for 24 years.

When and if you read this, I will have been retired from the Corps for more than 30 years. So yes, I am really late here. Yet, in that time, I have remained in touch with many, though regrettably not all, fellow officers who I served with and admired. I know I should have written this then and I apologize.  Even though you do not expect it, I want you know how much you meant to me and what a large part of my heart still belongs to you.

Julieann Marie Campbell
Spring, 1987, Air Force Spouse
of the Very First Order.
I am keeping this letter painfully short although it could easily be book length. In fact, elements of my Air Force life comprise one fifth of the memoirs in my book "Travel On," a tribute to an amazing and most fortunate life. 

I just want you to know I miss the camaraderie and common causes you have. For you and most of your fellow officers, I hope and believe it is something you will cherish until the end of your days.

I left simply because, after joining our Air Force at the tender age of 17, I was curious about what a life would be like if I was free from the cycle of geographical and work assignments. Yet, I loved what I was doing in supporting patient care for the military and their families. The fact is, I still miss it to this day.

Things have gone very well since. No complaints here but I want to say I loved serving with you and would have been honored and happy to serve with you well beyond my 24 years.

I wish you the very best Ma'am, and Sir as you serve, or have served with such fine people. I sincerely hope you eventually find your heart filled with the love and memories you will experience with the Corps.  And when you choose to end your time, maybe you will remember...maybe you will write a letter to those you served with. 

Until then, as our first soldier, George Washington wrote; I remain "...Your Most Obedt and Affectionate Hble Servt."


1 comment:

guluccimon said...

Thank you. And thanks to you and your family for your sacrifices in service to our nation.