Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ability... To Need

Yes... I am still on the "ine Rand" pronuciation kick here... with apologies to Ms. Rand.

So here is the topic for the day, from somewhere in the middle of her book Atlas Shrugged: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

The idea, in its purest form, doesn't bother you?  Well most of us want to help the needy, it's an admirable thing to be sure.  But, we have to be really careful about where we draw the line otherwise things can run amuck so to speak.  Example?  Consider this article:

Can You Be Too Fat to Work?

Mar 17th 2009
By Jeremy Taylor

None of the Chawners, a married English couple and their two adult daughters, have worked in 11 years. Yet the British government pays them a combined 45,000 dollars an annum in various disability benefits stemming from their morbid obesity. (The Chawners weigh between 240 and 340 pounds each.) 

Phillip, the family patriarch and the heaviest, claims the handout "barely covers the bills and puts food on the table. It's not our fault we can't work. We deserve more."

Granted there is a growing body of evidence that suggests obesity is, in fact, genetic. But can anyone think of a scenario in which a fat person's girth renders them unable to find any work? 

And, on that point, how quickly would our extra-large population bankrupt the United States if we ever brought a European-style welfare system to this side of the Atlantic?

P.S. No, I haven't finished "ine's" book yet but what a great read it is so far!!!

5 comments:

Mike Freed said...

"...we deserve More."

Sounds like something we'd here on this side of the pond these days. Government dependence is dangerous and spreading everywhere like wildfire.

TomC said...

Thank you for your comment Mike. I agree with you. We are sure walking a fine line here.

CharlieG said...

I am not an advocate of more government so I don't diaagree entirely with your point. However, what tends to bring on the need for more government conrol is excessive unbridled greed within the system on Wall Street or in the healthcare industry.

TomC said...

...and this comment from childhood friend Mr. Roger Claxton:

"I am not to adept at these blogs, but did want to add my two cents:

The phrase “from each according to their ability and to each according to their needs” is one of those noble phrases that is not practical. The problem lies in the definition in that is conveniently omitted… “by whose standards”?

While I have no hesitation to assist as I am able those I feel worthy, I am greatly resentful when others impose their definition of “need” and insist that I promote their worthy causes. The time, I fear, is rapidly approaching when I will be less able to support my causes as my funds will be taken more and more to further the causes of others. My ability and choice to provide will not be a factor in the end game, but rather the “needs” as elsewhere defined are imposed upon me."

Thank you Roger!

TomC said...

Thank you for your comment Charlie! We sure have to be careful about where we draw the line, I agree. As Ayn has reminded me, if we kill the sense of "self" attainment that is the root of our capitalist driven, democratic society we are in for big trouble. I am still digging into her work... more to come!