Monday, March 2, 2009

Atlas is Shrugging


Okay I had to look it up. How do you pronounce "Ayn Rand"? Like this; "ine rand". Still not sure? Neither am I.

So I am reading her book, "Atlas Shrugged". Somewhere recently I heard that it described parallels to today's economic crisis. So I bought it.

It is a thousand-plus page opus. The kind that would make you wince when a college professor put it on the "must read" list.  I believe it is an all-time best seller but I ducked it years ago and now I am in it way over my head.  It is a great book, filled with creativity and (what seems to me) original thought.  I don't understand much of it but what I do understand is remarkable.  

A type of philosophy apparently rose from "ine Rand's" work... objectivism.  Don't ask.  I am still trying to figure it out but I can say I like the type of morality she espouses.  On the other hand, I am only three hundred pages into this puppy and things could take a turn for the worse real fast.  For the moment though I am hooked.

I am going to invoke my favorite Obama quote here; "Look".  

Look, I am just a normal novel reader but I  believe I am onto something.  I am getting to know an amazing author.  I will keep you posted.  And please, don't tell any of my old teachers or professors... wouldn't want them to get the impression something is finally sinking in.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent book and excellent author. I was introduced to Ayn Rand through "The Fountainhead" being required reading in a sociology class way back last century (1974). I read everything I could find by Rand after that. If you do like "Atlas Shrugged", I think "Anthem" and "The Fountainhead" should be on your list.

C.W. Spooner said...

Tom, very interesting... My son-in-law, Bruce McKillican, is a huge Rand fan. I know her works had a major impact on him. I guess I'm gonna have to give 'em a read.

Anonymous said...

Tom, I just set up ID, I was Anon earlier. Enjoyed reading thru your blogs. Randall

TomC said...

Thank you for your comments RandallC aka "Anon" and Chuck. I do want to read the rest of her work... maybe put a little more edge on my Blue Dog Democratic leanings.