Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Infirmities of the Lesser Kind

Lets start with the biggy.. I have AIDS 
Hearing that is. 
Yup. Just picked them up today.

So heres the story:
Mid-1960's.
Eighteen year old Airman stationed at Cannon Air Force Base New Mexico. 
Some of us went to the drag races at Amarillo, Texas Raceway. 
In those days you could sit in the grass right next to the starting line if you wanted to. 
The cars were so loud you could feel your ear
drums vibrating.                         
Of course, in those days no one thought at all about long term hearing loss. 
Wild Bill Shrewsbury was there with his, “Hurst Hemi Under Glass”, a rear engine Plymouth Barracuda that would lift all four wheels off the ground at the start and stay in a “wheelie” for a whole quarter mile… and back! 
We had a ball, but I probably lost some hearing there.

Late teens to early twenties… 
Heading down the highway, windows open and volume as high as you could stand.         
Singing rock and roll at the top of your lungs. That’s the way we did it then. 
Had a ball, but probably lost some hearing there.

1969 and 1971 
Two tours with Air Force in Thailand. 
Lived in open air hootchs near flight line. 
B52s taking off at first base, F105s taking off at the other.                             
More loud music too.                                                                        
A fine time, but probably lost some hearing there.
1972, the Forum in Los Angeles.
Julie and I were living in Riverside.                                                 
Actually had never been to a concert before and we wanted to take my visiting brother to one. We bought tickets...the expensive ones on the floor right in front of the stage.          
Iron Butterfly and Canned Heat. 
The Sound Engineer and his gear were behind us.                                             
He had it dialed in so loud the music was in the center of my head the entire concert.  I was young and indestructible.  I wasn't complaining.
My ears were ringing when we left and continue to this day. 
Definitely lost some hearing there.

Aging now, not mentally (as some would argue)... just physically. 
They say you naturally lose some hearing as you get older.                          
They (I) also say that as you get older you begin spending more time discussing your infirmities. 
That is what I am doing now... with you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you obviously have great taste in music! And I'm delighted you like the blog, thanks for including the link. Too bad about your hearing, but gee, what a way to lose it! I once joked to a friend (at the top of my lungs because the radio was so loud) that I would consider it a failure if, later in life, I still had all my hearing. That's one reason why I don't use an iPod or ear buds. I like my music loud and "in the air". I'll stop by again soon and take more time to look at your blogs and check out the Harleys, too. Looks cool.

jack sender said...

Kids should know they will get older.
I've been in the front of a crowded bus and have heard the music from a kids headphones from somewhere toward the back. I went to one concert in L.A. and my ears rang for three days. No more. I'm right in line behind you, Tom, with one ear down and one to go.