Sunday, November 2, 2008

My American Idol

September 22, 2006

Tyler’s Mom, Julieann suggested it in the first place...

When she found out American Idol 2006 tryouts were being held she said, “Tyler, you should do that.” He agreed and after we checked the timing on the six city audition locations, we decided on Seattle, the last one. Here is TC’s account of the pending event…

“Put down your drink and check your watch cause it's ass-kickin time. I'm flying to Seattle with pops on the 16th to try out for American Idol. Tryouts are on the 19th. I'm not going in there expecting anything, just going to go on an adventure. I'm not holding back on anything anymore. A good friend of mine has opened my eyes to something lately. All of us are living in shells. I never thought of myself as someone that needed to "come out of his shell" but we all could use some shell rehab. So come out of yours. You could be a pearl. Wish me luck. T”

TC had a couple of months to consider his song selection and over time, we learned he would likely need two. 
Love What You are Doing, Do What you Love

It was difficult to find detail on the sequence of events for the auditions.  The main things we learned was, a couple songs, registration on Sunday, sing on Tuesday maybe.  This was because the AI website suggested they might not have enough time for all entrants.

We flew to Seattle Saturday evening and stayed with Tyler’s uncle Dave and his family.  They were very accommodating, giving us the family rate and allowing us to sleep inside.

DAY 1 – Registration and the Teaming Masses
The site said they would allow a waiting line “…no earlier than 6 am.”  We got up around 4, headed out at 5 and lined up about 3 thousandth at 5:30.  The line was cleverly laid out all through the Seattle Center area and well covered with security and American Idol staff.  The AI staff were distinctive in bright yellow shirts with the logo on front and audition locations on the back. 

The location was Key Arena downtown near the Space Needle; Key Arena is famous for a couple of things.  It is the former location of the Seattle Supersonics, a relic from the Worlds’ Fair in the early 60’s and it is site of my early morning revelry on a motorcycle sometime in 1963. The building’s exterior arches encircle the building and are great fun to negotiate on a motorcycle if you don’t get caught.
TC and I were armed with backpacks containing water, two umbrellas (more important than water in Seattle), two small folding stools, some snacks, a camera and a few other things.  It was pretty cool but we were pretty comfortable. 

While we waited, I left the line and headed to front to check things out.  It was near the arena entrance and there was a perfectly placed coffee/water table there serving up Starbucks (What else?).  It was interesting to find that the coffee was $2.50 and the 20 oz. water was $3.75!  We are used to paying outrageous prices for coffee but water?  C’mon!  No one was complaining though, all that stuff was flying off the table.

I bought coffee and wandered over to the front of the line.  I talked with the folks in front for a while and found out they were there around 12:30 am that morning.  I wished them luck and walked the line back to TC. 

As I continued I noticed there were a lot of folks who had been apparently camping with sleeping bags, blankets and chairs.  There were quite a few singing too, mostly Sublime songs.  This did not seem to be a good sign as the songs TC had picked were by Sublime.  Some of you may not know that this group put out a hundred or so very popular songs in the 90’s.  They were known for great lyrics and melodies and remain very popular today.  The lead singer and writer, Brad Nowell overdosed on heroin in 1996.

I got back to TC and while we continued waiting we worked on the greatest pb&j sandwiches ever made.  AI camera crews were on the prowl, working the crowd, getting us to pack together more tightly and cheer the upcoming event.  AI reps would also come around periodically, give us updates on what was going on and ask if anyone had questions.  They made it about as good as it can get with all the waiting and organizing necessary to control a crowd our size.

Around 8am the lines began to move and they really went fast.  By 9am we were registered and outa' there.  We had wristbands, one for the contestant and one for one guest. We also had instructions to keep them in good shape for Tuesday’s auditions. 

DAY 2 – Playing Pike Market
Playing for change at Pike Market, Seattle
Note American Idol wristband...
Monday, we had little to do so we (Ty) decided to head for the Pike Market and sing for his (our) lunch.  We had heard there was a $15 fee for one of the music spots marked on the sidewalk there and Ty wanted to check it out.  You may know Seattle’s Pike Market is famous for its outdoor, mostly undercover fruit, flowers, fresh seafood and other vendor items.  When we arrived, we found out the fee was actually $30 (Okay, we’ll do it anyway just for the experience) and we could only sign up on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  We stated our best, “All we got is today, Monday” case and were outright rejected.  Figuring the worst that could happen was we would be kicked out, Ty set up on one of the music spots on the corner of Pike and Pine, anyway.  He got exactly two guitar strums in and a security lady gave us the boot.  “But we only have one day.”  “That’s what they all say.”

So, we headed for a little park that sits on the edge of Pike Market and borders Puget Sound.  It was a gorgeous spot but there was far too much noise from Highway 99 down below us and very few folks passing by. After 3 or 4 songs Ty decided to pack up.  He made a buck though so we figured it was not a total loss.

DAY 3 – The Day of Reckoning
Lots of waiting outside and in on the day of auditions.  Once in, there was a lot of filming.  One of the AI guys led the whole crowd of 10,000 or so in practicing and belting out a rendition of Jefferson Starship’s, “We Built this City”…on rock and roll.  I have to say the final version sounded really good in the Arena.  Then, Ryan Seacrest stopped in to tape a few pearls for upcoming shows.  He was about 30 feet from where TC and I were sitting and was really terrific with the crowd.  He was signing autographs and chatting with everyone between takes.  Really reminded me of another great soul, Arnold Palmer, who would sidle up to the crowd, making eyes and chatting between shots on the pro golf tour. 
We did a lot of shouting, the wave and a lot of other things for the camera crews for well over 4 hours and then, the auditions began.  Here is Tyler’s account: 

“Today was one of the craziest days of my life.  I found myself huddled up next to my father at 4 am outside the key arena in Seattle during a torrential downpour, waiting for my chance to audition for American Idol with 10,000 other singers and their support.  We sat there, one pathetic mass of populous shivering and foaming at the mouths for 3 hours until the producers of AI decided to let us into the arena.  So we piled in around 8 am and they started filming sequences for the show to be aired in January.  After the producers had decided that they had all the good shots they needed for an opening sequence, it was time to start the auditions.  (Nearly 3 hours later)  So now it is 11 am and the staff drags in 12 booths, each armed with 2 judges.  In an orderly fashion, the stands starting emptying out onto the floor that the Seattle Supersonics once called home.  4 at a time, people would line up in front of the judging booths.  4 at a time, people were eliminated.  (Seattle is the last stop on the AI tour so the judges are picky.)  

After about an hour and a half of auditions, during which about 20 people received the coveted gold ticket to move on, it was time for my section to hit the floor.  20 minutes later, I found myself in line at a judging booth that would make or break me.  To my horror, this particular judge was eliminating everyone.  A pretty little blond girl belted out a flawless rendition of Respect by Aretha Franklin and was quickly eliminated, after receiving a standing ovation from about 100 onlookers.  My stomach was in knots at this point.  I stepped up to the table next to my 3 other co-auditioners.  I went 4th.  I don't really remember how well I sang the song but it was 40 oz. to freedom by Sublime.  All I know is that I sang it loud and aggressively.  The judge dismissed all three of the pretty ladies to my right and made my day.  A coveted gold ticket.  Roughly 100 out of 10000 people get to go on to the next portion that takes place tomorrow.  I'm one of them. T”

I can only add that I made a lot of noise when I saw TC emerge from that crowd with his gold ticket.  It was a fantastic, stunning moment I wish his Mother, Julieann and sister Samantha could have shared.  


DAY 4 – At “The W” - I will go right to TC’s account here:
7 a.m. I'm standing in line outside of The W, a 5 star hotel in the heart of downtown Seattle. I am surrounded by an elite force of about 100 survivors from the previous mass elimination at the key arena and about 4 news channels. In front of me is a beautiful Latino girl named Deena (Not sure how she spells it but that is how it sounds). Deena made the show 2 years ago and got to the top 56 in the country. Behind me, a guy in an Uncle Sam costume is being interviewed by the local fox news. In some rights, I've already made it... but I know the day will be yet another test of mental endurance. 
Around 8, we pile into the hotel and enter a floor that has been quarantined by American Idol. They sit us in rows to later be emptied out in groups of five to sing for Charles, one of the shows top producers. For 2 hours, we sit... interviews take place individually where we are asked what separates us from the rest of the crowd. People are singing everywhere; in the halls, the bathroom, and in their seats. Finally, my row is emptied into the waiting area outside Charles' room. One by one, people are sent in and one by one they come out. A camera man waits outside the room to interview the rejected. You can tell whether or not someone made it just by watching him either stand ready to film or sit as they exit. 
I go in. The first song I attempted was again 40 oz. to freedom by sublime. I did not execute it very well due to my nerves, which at that point were so intense I barely remember the experience. "Sing another song," he said when I was finished. I freaked out and went into STP, another Sublime favorite. Not a good choice. A third song was demanded. In The Still of the Night. I was immediately criticized for the back to back sublime performance but the judges seemed to be on the fence. After some minor pleading on my own behalf, I was through. I HAD MADE IT TO THE 3RD ROUND! 

I was then promoted to the larger numbers that you see on the actual contestants on the show. I wore them proudly into the hall where I met my father and we were quickly whisked away to a third floor. Again, this floor was completely occupied by American Idol. I was seated in a line of about 5 individuals nervously awaiting the 3rd round. Holy Shit! I had not mentally recovered from the 2nd round and here I was 10 minutes away from my 3rd tryout in front of Nigel Lithgoe, the executive producer of AI and So You Think You Can Dance! I got down to 3rd in line and the staff decided to break for lunch til 1:15. 
I had 45 minutes to kill til before my tryout. Let's just say, I didn't eat much. Back in line now and ready to rock around 1:20. Now, the field consists of about 25/30 of us. Every single person in this group looked and sounded like a star in their own right. Half of them were being eliminated right in front of me as tearful speeches took place on camera outside the audition room doors. Then my turn... I entered the room confident. I was asked my name and a couple other things that I don't remember. 3 or 4 cameras were on me as well as the eyes of Nigel and 10 or more other producers and staff members. This was a stage set up just like the one you see on TV with Simon, Paula and Randy, except they weren't there. 
I decided to throw a curveball. Started off with a well executed "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam. "Sing another," Nigel said to me. "40 Oz to Freedom" again. "What else have you got?" "In the Still of the Night." 3 songs later, my fate was at the hands of the man in charge. He went on to explain that the problem was my performance. I had not been animated enough on stage. I received no criticism on vocals. My downfall was my stage presence, a problem easily fixable. I'll be back. If I knew then what I know now, I surely would be traveling to LA to see Simon on Oct 2nd. But I am left with the ride of a lifetime and the knowledge to make it happen on my next attempt, American Idol, 2007. -Campbell Out
Immersed in a ballad...

The thing is… I am so impressed by all the contestants I saw and heard.  It takes a lot of courage and, of course, love for music to try and stand out among a crowd of 10,000.  I saw the stress they were going through and conquering, none over 28 years of age and I can tell you without the slightest doubt, there is nothing our American youth can’t do. The people of American Idol?  They were all a class act, including the part-timers they hired locally.

Tyler Thomas Campbell the man?  He is all a father could hope for and more.  He will stop to help a stranger at the drop of a hat.  He has some gifts from The Man Upstairs and he appreciates them all.  He is trying to make constructive use of them as well.  And yes, I think his sincere style is a little like a couple of folks I mentioned earlier, Palmer and Seacrest.

Epilogue:  Ty (songwriter, front man, rhythm guitar player) formed a band in 2007, “Arden Park Roots” info at www.aproots.com.  They have had some fine success so far, winning 2008 & 2009 Sammy awards here for best reggae band and a 2008 Best of Sacramento award for their album, “The Hard Way’.  They also won "Best of Sac" awards in 2009 and 2010.

Epilogue II: Ty and his band have started a side project.  Called "The Livin's Easy", it is a Sublime tribute band.  The fan reaction has been terrific... there is a real cult out there of hundreds of thousands and most have memorized the lyrics to virtually all Sublime songs.  Amazing. 

No comments: