Friday, November 28, 2008

Journey

If you were to stop in the front yard of a home
In a certain small town in Willow City, North Dakota
You would find me thinking...
What's it like to leave your childhood friends and move to...?
If you were to ice skate to the middle 
Of a certain lake in Michigan
You would find me wondering...
What's it like to leave all your relatives here and move to...?
If you were to walk to a certain spot
On a Lake Erie beach in Ohio
You would find me thinking...
What's it like to board a bus and head west across the States to...?
If you were to ride a city bus to downtown Seattle
And hang out in the pool halls with the sharks
You would find me wondering...
What's it like to become an Air Force Airman and fly to...?
If you were to step into my backyard in Northern California
And toss the tennis ball for Molly a few times
You would find me weighing in on life and saying,
"This is good.  I am fortunate.  I wonder what will be next...?"
You have made these moves, and had these thoughts...
In different places
Your fingers are on these keys - your words - your memories replace mine...
And you wonder... or you don't.
"It's all part of the journey" (Donald W. Palen Jr., August, 2008)

No comments: