Saturday, December 27, 2008

Pfffffunk...eee


In the immortal words of one Robert Bunker, "Listen to me." Before you dig too deep into this blog entry be advised there are links to three YouTube songs.  If you only have time listen to one, please make it the last one, "Blisters" by War - It's way too short at just over two minutes but it captures the whole story here. Knock yourself out...

Hopefully the extra "F's" and "E's" up there have helped you draw out the word the way I intend. You see, it is sticking in my pitiful brain this morning and I want to share the stick.

Pfffffunk...eee, as in funky... funky down Broadway.

As an exploratory effort, right now I am listening to a Parliament Funkadelic tune from 1978, "One Nation Under a Groove". I can't say this is a great song and I am trying to capture some serious "funk".  I am looking for something that is head-bobbing, compelling bass, catchy rhythm and lyrics kind of funky.

Ahh, now it is working!  I called upon Mother Google and she has directed me to Wickipedia wherupon I have discovered some definitions and some direction to what is sticking here.  Sly and the Family Stone, War, The Commodores... that is what I am talking about here this morning.  I am going to run to YouTube and find something that nails this mood.  Be right back...

This is it... War's extended version of "Slippin into Darkness"... first time I have ever heard the extended version and it is great.  Check it out  

He is slipping into darkness when he hears his momma say, "Pretty soon your gonna pay."

Then, there is my favorite, "Blisters" from their "Deliver The Word" album.

That... is Pfffffunk... eee.

No comments: