Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Early Morning... Helena Montana

January, 2008

5:45 AM
First steps outside hotel
Fresh snow everywhere
Glistens like diamonds in the lights
Crunchy underfoot
Too powdery for good snowballs

Crank up Nissan Pathfinder 4wd rental
Too much traction to slide around
Antilock brakes take the slide out of the stop
I prefer the sliding (controlled of course)
Not a fun drive
But a safe drive

6:00 AM
Bank sign verifies time
Says temperature is -5 degrees
Cold works its way through leather jacket
And through scarf
Colder than the breast of a witch

If you take the heater off defrost
The windshield frosts on the inside
Beyond the steering wheel
Must be the moisture in your breath
So you stay cold

6:05 AM
“Early Bird II” restaurant
Only open for breakfast
Full of locals
Off the beaten path but busy
Breakfast Special

“Biscuit with sausage gravy”
“One egg how you like it”
“Bacon”… three strips
“Four bucks”
Coffee fifty cents

Bacon fresh, lean, crispy, thick
Biscuit, egg and coffee
Hits the spot
I’m a happy camper

6:35 AM
Arrive at Mountain Pacific
Quality Health Foundation
Housed in former pauper’s hospital
Rumor has it lots of folks buried out back
It’s on the extreme North edge of town
Where you expect it to be

Nice renovated building
A little bit of early 1900’s art-deco look to it
I think
Circle building a couple times
Can’t get in until someone lets me in

Park in front to watch for someone I know
Pathfinder running
Finally getting warm
Admiring view of glistening snow
And small city lights

Just before 7:00 AM
CEO arrives
I recognize her and park alongside
I am in the building

The pauper’s hospital
For the poor and infirm

I am thinking at least I meet
One of the requirements
Maybe both

No comments: